Friday, May 22, 2009

Back to school (the university system)...

Just for kicks, I decided to enroll in a class at the Universidad Nacional La Plata. Education is a big theme in Argentina--school is free TO EVERYONE through undergrad, and graduate school costs very little. Unfortunately, this results in low-paid teachers (a friend who's been a professor at the university for lawyers for several years makes $2,000 pesos per month--about what I live on here, $550 dollars).

Graduate school is rarely needed, as most degrees are considered careers--you go to school until you're done in the field, and ready to work. The psychology program is 6 years, like a master's in Psychology in the US, but you spend all six years studying psychology (in the US, the first two years are usually general education). To become a lawyer, the program is 5 years, an architect 6 years (in theory, on average, architecture students take an average of 8 years to complete the program). I believe teaching and nursing are 3 year programs. Social work is 5.

The obvious disadvantage to this is that many kids don't know what they really want to do at 18, so they enroll in a program, change their mind after a few years (or often after completing a program and working in the field), and have to go back and start all over with a new career track. (This seems to happen almost 50% of the time.)

So, if you decide to go to school here, there's different paths to take...since I'm just pursuing a taste of the system, and not a full degree, I just had to show up to a class, sign my name and give my email address, and I was in. Prisons, Education, and Human Rights. I sure can pick 'em, can't I?!

The professor started class by announcing no smoking was permitted in the classroom. Eating and drinking obviously was, judging by the handful of thermoses holding hot water for mate, and boxes of pastries/bags of cookies students had brought in. 10 am on a Saturday, if I had known, I'd have brought breakfast to class as well.

I missed the first class, but had emailed the professor to see if I could attend, and he assured me it'd be no problem, just show up and ask for him. While I figured asking for him by his first name would probably be kosher, I was a little unsure. Finally, I deduced which person was Professor Scarfó, and introduced myself. He greeted me with a hug and a kiss, and sure enough, for the rest of the day he was addressed as "Francisco." (I know he goes by "Pancho" in his personal life, so I guess "Francisco" is his way of keeping things professional.)

Although it was completely coincidental, my choice of classes was incredibly appropriate. As I mentioned above, "education" is an Argentine theme that has been very developed within the culture.

Maybe this is why the universities have a feeling of being more institutions of creativity and exploration rather that indoctorinization...as you can see in the photo below, the school of Social Work is very decorated. In fact, every University building I've seen has been painted to depict the subject matter (see the school of dentistry here).

In the three classes I've attended, the professor hasn't lectured once. We've had guest speakers, panel discussions, lots of group work (including the drawing of a mural), and watched a movie. This week we're having a debate. (There's also assigned readings.) Our class has 5-6 "helpers," I'm guessing they're final year Social Work students, or master's students who attend the classes, help facilitate group discussions, and give assignments(!).

A huge difference I noted during these group discussions—I’m not sure if its commentary on the education system’s ability to engage students, or the Argentine cultural love to talk, but the class leaders are constantly asking people to stop volunteering, stop talking, and stop asking questions, in order to allow us to leave on time. Despite their efforts, the class always runs 15-45 minutes over, as the students just can’t stop their discussion. Every American class I’ve been in sees the room fall into complete silence at the opportunity to leave.

Anyway, it's been really interesting...I could probably go on a lot longer but I'll let you be for now...here's some more pictures of the University: The classrooms, with their colorful paint

The classrooms, with their colorful paint

The plaza, all the buildings are constructed around this area, which is full of students on warmer days (or weekdays):

No comments: