I've been taking in Buenos Aires in bits and pieces, rather than the giant hunks I'd hoped to inhale. Maybe I'm not such a city girl after all...or maybe the city Buenos Aires has to offer just isn't my scene. It's true the touristy districts seem so overrun, and everything else is cast off in the shadows. I'm sure the gems exist, but the task of finding them is so daunting...
So, I took another nip over the weekend, this time to the famous neighborhood of La Boca, home of Argentina's most famous soccer team, Boca Juniors.
La Boca is actually a working class neighborhood with a bit of
pizzazz. It began as a port, and served as a melting pot as well competing with several other neighborhoods for the title as the birthplace of tango.
The story goes, that as a poorer neighborhood, the locals took whatever they could get paint-wise. The result, was building splashed in multiple colors, and is now the trademark of the neighborhood, which claims to be Argentina's only open air museum.
Either way, it's a fun place where the tourists are thick, and the vendors are the pushiest I've seen in Argentina. Oh, and they also have the cutest underwear in Argentina (sold by a very un-pushy vendor).

No comments:
Post a Comment