Wednesday, May 20, 2009

¡Todos somos únicos! --Take One

As I wrote the program developer, Rosemary Tisch, El Bohío’s adaptation of the ¡Celebrating Families! program is moving along, right on (Argentine) schedule! Back in January, I planned to start the first of the eight sessions at the beginning of April—and May 13 it finally happened!


I only have five weeks left of my internship (can you believe it?!), so it will be cramped squeezing in the remaining seven workshops, but…we’re going for it!


Our adaptation, ¡Todos somos únicos! (We’re All Unique!) is being presented to a group of (about 15) 11-year-olds at a local elementary school.

The staff were a little nervous--although they have given literally hundreds of talks in schools before, but never with this type of curriculum (very interactive and scripted to include TONS of information) and never covering such a wide variety of topics (the first day alone covered and introduction to the program, relaxation techniques, personal values, and nutrition)—they usually stick to drugs and addiction.


However, they have the experience, and are totally at ease presenting information to groups. Additionally, the kids were precious! The epitome of innocent and curious, which is what I love about the age group. (When they get a bit more comfortable with us, they may lose their charm, and be more apt to present what I hate about this age group.)


I had to sit down for most of the group because as soon as I stood, everyone’s attention turned to see what The American was doing and any attempts at classroom control were lost.


But the presentation was a huge success. The kids are very excited to learn about the topics were presenting, and VERY curious about drugs and alcohol. They all have seen/heard something about someone they know, but are unsure how it fits into the big picture.

The topics we’ll be presenting in the following weeks include:

· Communication and Healthy Friendships/Relationships

· Feelings, Emotions, and Anger Management

· Facts about Alcohol, Tobacco, and Other Drugs

· Chemical Dependency Is A Disease

· Making Healthy Choices and Goal Setting

· Healthy Boundaries and How We Learn

· Everyone’s Unique Celebration

No comments: