Monday, March 16, 2009

Follow-up with the MDs

Have I mentioned that I live with two doctors? While I'm not totally clear on the different steps involved in becoming an MD, one roommate has completed medical school, and has a test to pass before it's official (then she'll start a program for her specialization), the other is “in school,” but has a caseload at a local hospital.

So, when I came home with my swollen eye, they were both very interested. I ran into Jylena first, immediately after returning from the doctor. She wanted to know what he said, what he'd told me to do, what medication he gave me, (which she then kindly translated from it's pharmaceutical name to common language—it had an antibiotic and cortisone), and recommended I apply heat through warming a spoon on the stove, then putting it to my eye. (The doctor had recommended a standard hot compress.)

She was skeptical about the medication, “he told you to put it in your eye? Really?” But let me go after insisting I apply heat regularly.

Ingrid wasn't so passive. (She typically isn't.) “Jenn!” She called me when she heard me enter the house later. “Jylena says you have an orzuelo. And the doctor gave you eye drops?!” In her adamant professional opinion, the eye drops were useless. She'd treated patients with styes before, and would never give them eye drops. An antibiotic cream could be used, but NOT drops. Ibuprofen and heat were her recommendations, and an oral antibiotic later, if necessary. “Look into it on the internet,” she encouraged me, “that's what you do. Eye drops don't make any sense.”

I already had, and she was right. I thought eye drops still made sense, but they didn't seem to be the conventional treatment.

Which put me in an awkward place...I trusted the eye specialist I'd seen, but...she had her points. And I lived with her! I'd have to see her everyday. (Plus, if I had any problems, she was way more accessible than he was.) Luckily, it's a minor issue, and did bring my attention to the fact that I have free medical treatment down the hall if I ever need it.

Anyone need a prescription?

No comments: