

It wasn't the first—it won't be the last. I actually started by getting my hair dyed. It cost 50 pesos ($15). Everything went smooth, so I went back in November for another cut and dye. I was a bit more apprehensive this time, as the haircuts in Argentina are the number one indicator you're not in the U.S. anymore (at least not the U.S. of this decade).
I wanted to lighten up a bit, maybe even go blond for the summer, however she advised me my hair was in no state to go through bleaching. I could come back for blond highlights, but that was the most she recommended. Okay, I appreciated her honesty, and went for a dark color (covering the gray was always the number one priority). Then came the cutting. “I'm thinking of giving you more layers, something more modern,” she told me. Hmmm...more modern Argentina may mean U.S. 1980's. I reluctantly agreed.
Low and behold, the color was beautiful, and the cut was great. Rather than my practical blunt cut, I had some face framing layers (and some short top pieces that would make my American stylist cringe, but overall)...we both agreed the color was great and highlights weren't necessary.

So, of course, when I was ready for my next cut, I went back. Post-summer, my hair was even more damaged, and I'd given up all hope of blondness, but she remembered my request. “We'll give you the highlights today!” She offered, enthusiastically. She also quickly described a cut, once again, offering to make me look more modern, so I figured it'd be more of the same.
Oops. I think the highlights are okay...just weird for me. I haven't been blond in years, and I've never gone for the streaks. But the cut is a 100% Argentine bi-layer (tri-layer) mess. The back is about 3 inches longer than the sides, which are several inches longer than the front. The cut and color with highlights put me out 100 pesos ($30), I guess I'll be springing for a more cosmopolitan stylist in Buenos Aires before returning to the western world.





1 comment:
Love the "do," Jenn!
Post a Comment