As we near our two month mark in the stay with host families, the time has come for us to venture out on our own in search of more independence...
We have a few options...
1) Continue living with a host family. Depending on their willingness to host us for the remainder of our time, it may be the family we've been with, or a new family who's willing to make the long-term commitment.
I've lived on my own for ten years and am feeling increasingly claustrophobic in my family house. They're great, but I think I've gotten the most I can out of the "host family" experience in Argentina.
2) Find our "own" apartment. These start around $1,000 pesos. (FSD plans our food/housing/laundry expenses at $850 pesos/month.)
Financially, this would be difficult. Also, living on my own will keep me more isolated from other Argentines, and probably slow down my Spanish fluency. Not a good option.
3) Live in a pension. This is where the majority of singles live, when they're not living with their parents. Most are university students, who are living far away from their families, as otherwise Argentines tend to live with their families until they marry. The pensions tend to be big houses or apartments, housing 5-30 people, some in their own room, some in shared rooms. There are bathrooms to share, and a kitchen. Most are divided by gender.
5-30 20-year old roommates? Yeah, probably NOT a good spot for me.
4) Shared apartment with roommates. (No explanation necessary, equal to the experience in the U.S.)
Probably the best option. I'd get to live with locals, ideally of my own age with similar interests, etc.
So, with these options, I'm off to hit the newspaper classifieds, and Compartodepto.com, the local answer to craigslist!
Friday, August 22, 2008
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

No comments:
Post a Comment