Wednesday, October 8, 2008

Next in line?

This came through on a mailing list I belong to for Buenos Aires newcomers...it cracked me up, because it's so typical of bureaucracy in developing countries. A DNI is a national identification card (and necessary for everything associated with daily living)...maybe it'll make you feel better the next time you have to deal with the DMV...

I applied for my DNI last July here in Entre Rios. I was told I would have it within a year. Well, a year came and went and I was told to wait three more months. That if it hasn't come by then, I will have to "hacer el reclamo." I went back this week and the office told me that the Registro Civil is on strike and is not sending the DNI's to the satellite offices. They told me to call the office in Parana and see if by chance they had it, and if not, to call the main office in Buenos Aires. The office in Parana has not received it yet. So I am trying to figure out the correct number to call in Buenos Aires. Does anyone know? Is it the 011-4393-0566 number? If that is the case, do they usually answer the phone? We had a hard time actually getting a hold of someone on the phone in Parana. I am actually traveling to Buenos Aires tomorrow or Thursday. Would it be better to go there in person to check the status of it? If so, would I have to have an appointment to do that?

I apologize for all the questions, but I am somewhat at a loss here. I appreciate any help!

Miguel

No comments: